Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Lunchtime random behavior

Picture this: Lunchtime, recently. A smallish girl with dark hair in a ponytail walks into a neighborhood eatery wearing jeans, black Converse sneakers, a gray zip-front hooded sweatshirt, and this t-shirt:




How old would you think she was? And what kind of job would you think she had?

Apparently, the answers are neither "30" nor "lawyer."

So yeah, earlier this week, I had this experience. I went to go get lunch -- and paid with exact change, from my pocket. Clearly, I must have looked my youngest, poorest, and most forlorn, because the cashier, seemingly feeling sorry for me, threw me a giant chocolate chip cookie while I was waiting for my to-go order.

On second thought, maybe he recognized me because I pick up lunch or dinner from this establishment at least once a week.

Still, it makes me wonder -- exactly what kind of vibe do I give off?


11 comments:

DSL said...

Maybe you looked like you were having a hard day and wanted to be nice. Doesn't have to have anything to do with age or profession.

dara said...

Maybe. But still, this kind of thing happens a lot to me.

DSL said...

Dara, I think you're too suspicious of people. Why not just enjoy it?

dara said...

Is suspicious the right word? I think it's just my inherently analytical nature.

Ryane said...

Perhaps this person thinks your cute in your Bad Apple T-shirt??

(which is cute, BTW).

dara said...

I wish. When I looked in the mirror, I was actually the opposite of cute -- dishheveled, even.

Unless you're talking about "cute" in a little kid kind of way. I occasionally get that kind of reaction -- until I open my mouth.

dara said...

Debby: After further reflection, I've concluded that the right word is skeptical. I'm not really suspicious, I'm a skeptic.

I said...

I don't think you should over analyze this. I got a free rice-crispy treat at the same place once when I ordered dinner to go. I paid with a credit card and didn't look very young. I think it's just Random. Plus at this piont in our life looking young (late teens) is a complement.

dara said...

You weren't there!! How do you know what place it was?

Damn. Am I that predictable?

And I was thinking "mid-20's po' grad student", but late teens? Wow, thanks.

DSL said...

How about a cynic? ;-) I know, I know, I think too much too. Just eat the damn cookie. :-p

dara said...

Let's compare:

cyn·ic (snk)
1. A person who believes all people are motivated by selfishness.
2. A person whose outlook is scornfully and often habitually negative.
3. A member of a sect of ancient Greek philosophers who believed virtue to be the only good and self-control to be the only means of achieving virtue.

skep·tic also scep·tic (skptk)
1. One who instinctively or habitually doubts, questions, or disagrees with assertions or generally accepted conclusions.
2. One inclined to skepticism in religious matters.
3. A member of an ancient Greek school of skepticism, especially that of Pyrrho of Elis (360?-272? B.C.).

I think parts of both are accurate. But I don't think I'm habitually negative.