Tuesday, October 10, 2006

To nap, perchance to dream

I am cranky and grouchy, and I have this pain on the right side of my neck that I only get when I'm sitting in front of the computer at work trying really hard to think through something that's plaguing me. Not to mention how I keep rubbing at my eyes, which are already irritated from my allergies, but will probably just get worse until I get home.

I think I need a nap.

But not a cat nap, or even one of those mythical 20-minute power naps -- those are for suckers. Anyone who's ever really tried one of those would attest that they'll just make you more tired and irritable.

No, what I need is an honest-to-God hour long sleep -- maybe two -- just like when I was in college and/or law school. Something just long enough for some rapid eye movement. Maybe even a dream (hopefully a good one).

Back then, I could take an hour long nap at 4 in the afternoon (you know, after General Hospital), wake up, and be raring to go until 4 am. It was always just enough to refresh me and get me back on track to study -- or party, or, occasionally watch a movie marathon of Top Gun and Real Genius.

Now I miss being able to skip out on inconsequential stuff to go home and sleep. That might actually be what I miss most about being in school.


9 comments:

The White's said...

A four-fold Amen!

Of course, throw an infant into the mix and you might as well keep wishing!

Anonymous said...

The freedom to do stuff (be it nap, shop, watch tv, read, etc) in the afternoon is the biggest thing I miss about school and the worst thing about this 9-5 job life.

Which is why, if it paid even remotely near as well as my 9-5 I would be a student forever. Alas, my student debt tells me that this will never be an option ;)

dara said...

Bo: You probably shouldn't throw an infant. Maybe a toddler, but not an infant.

Suze: Even with the freedom, I don't know if I could really be a student forever. My last year of school was painful, which certainly changed my perspective on it. And I don't work anything close to 9-5 -- it's more like 9-8 -- so I envy even that little bit of daylight to run errands on the way home.

Miss Scarlet said...

I'm totally itching for a movie marathon soon.

dara said...

Scarlet: I think it all boils down to whatever a person needs to do for a good ol' fashioned mental health day. Mine used to be outlet shopping; now it's sleep. But a movie marathon would be good to. (As will getting home to watch Gilmore Girls on the DVR.)

Ryane said...

Dara, good point! I wonder what we would need to do in institute siesta here in the US? It's just so civilized...everyone going home to nap throught the hottest part of the day..a leisurly lunch. Sigh...
=-)

mad said...

It just gets worse as you get older. Suddenly, the phrase "I feel the need for speed" takes on a totally different meaning.

dara said...

Ryane: I'm not sure that the rest of the world naps -- just the warm Spanish-speaking places. But yeah, wouldn't it be nice? Two hour lunches with sangria, followed by a nap, and then back to work for a couple hours . . . .

dara said...

Mad -- It has gotten worse. I'm more and more tired, and have less and less time for sleep.

Plus, my stupid office hasn't refilled the Diet Coke in the machine for over a week. It's making the whole situation worse.